hamburger close
renting moving tips
Home Tenants Insurance for Tenants

Insurance for Tenants

We understand that you want protection for your possessions and protection for damage to any of the landlord belongings in a property and we now work with property insurance experts to provide affordable solutions for our tenants.

Policies we offer

We offer contents Insurance combined with liability insurance for tenants or simply tenants liability insurance

What is Tenants Contents Insurance?

Tenants Contents Insurance covers your personal possessions in case of fire, theft, accidental damage or other insured risk

What is Tenants Liability Insurance?

Tenants Liability Insurance covers most accidental damage to items that belong to or are provided by the landlord in the property.


Tenants Liability policy Only - £8.50 per Month
Tenants Contents Insurance including Tenants Liability policy £11 per Month

Tenants Contents Insurance

What is covered under a Standard Policy

Standard Tenants Contents Insurance covers contents within your home against loss or damage from specific events including fire, storm, theft or escape of water.

  • Contents, up to £50,000
  • Contents temporarily removed from the home, up to £10,000
  • Accidental damage in the home to electrical equipment & glass
  • Replacement of external door locks and keys
  • Theft up to £1,000
  • Loss up to £200
  • Household removals up to the maximum claim limit
  • Public and personal liability up to £2,000,000
  • Liability for domestic employees up to £10,000,000
  • Student belongings up to £1,000
  • Food in freezer and refrigerator up to £1,000
  • Money (up to £500) and Credit Cards (up to £200) within the home
  • Guests’ personal belongings up to £2,500
  • Home Improvements up to £1,000
  • Special Events, 10% increase of the maximum claim limit
  • Fatal injury up to £5,000
  • Shopping in transit up to £400
  • Garden Cover up to £500
  • Contents in your locked garage, shed or outbuildings (up to £2,500) An unsecured outbuilding or garage is covered in the event of a theft up to £500 for any one claim
  • mobile phones upto £300 per claim for (excluding accidental damage)

Additional Extras

Accidental damage extension - £4 per month

Under the standard policy, there is limited Accidental Damage cover for some possessions. Mobile phones are excluded. If you would like your mobile phone insured, this is included for up to £300 for any one claim.

Unspecified personal belongings - £8.13 per month for cover up to £2,500

This cover is designed to protect your personal possessions against accidental damage, loss or theft when taken out of your home in the European Area plus there is cover anywhere else in the world for up to 60 days in any one period of insurance. For personal belongings, the most the insurer will pay for any one single item is £2,500.

Specified personal belongings – Price on applicant as dependent on the item

This cover is designed to protect higher value personal possessions used in daily life over £2,500 against accidental damage, loss or theft, even outside the home. Includes items such as engagement rings, insulin pumps or musical instruments.

Pedal cycle extension – Price on applicant as dependent on the item

Optional bicycle cover protects pedal cycles when taken out of the boundaries of the home. Pedal cycle are protected in the European area and anywhere in the world for up to 60 days in any one period of insurance.

Personal legal protection - £2 per month

This cover provides the expert legal help and assistance needed to protect you against common legal issues without the worry of running up solicitors’ costs and overstretching resources. Up to £100,000 for legal fees and cost

Costs for additional extras varies and will be provided at time of quotation

Liability Insurance

Tenants Liability Insurance is not a replacement for your security deposit. The cover is designed to reduce the risk of deductions from your deposit. It pays out for some of the most common reasons a landlord might keep your money at the end of your tenancy. It won't protect you for deductions from your deposit where you haven't paid all your rent or utility bills, or don't leave the place sufficiently clean as it simply covers damage to items that belong to or are provided by the landlord in the property.

Can Liability Insurance protect against Deposit Deductions?

One of the main benefits is that this cover can help protect you against deposit deductions. By covering the cost to fix items you may have accidentally damaged, as it happens, you can minimise potential deposit disputes or deductions at the end of your tenancy.

It’s important to note that any malicious act, theft or attempted theft as well as damage caused by wear and tear isn’t covered.

Other Points

Will old things be replaced with new ones?

The policy provides cover on a new for old basis. During the process of a claim, we will decide whether it’s most appropriate to replace, repair or offer money for your lost or damaged goods. We will always consider what route will be best, depending on the circumstances in question.

What's not covered by Tenants Insurance?

This is not an exhaustive list and is a guide

  • The policy will not cover theft unless force causing damage was used
  • General wear and tear that has happened gradually over time
  • Chewing, scratching, tearing or fouling by domestic pets
  • Consequential or indirect losses

Want to Know More or take out insurance?

Apply here

NOTE: Insurance is provided by Homelet and not Benham and Reeves.
HomeLet is a trading name of Barbon Insurance Group Limited which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority for insurance mediation.

We really know London

Read our blogs